Saturday, September 1, 2012

Silver Dollar City: A Blast from the Past

Anyone who comes to the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas / Missouri MUST go to Silver Dollar City at least once.  I began going here at a very young age (see photo below).  SDC is a theme park that combines fun rides with educational opportunities to learn trades from the "old days"... churning butter, blacksmithing, turning wood, candle making, blowing glass, etc.  Walking into the park is like stepping back in time to the 1880s.  All employees are in costume with the time period.


This man is making a baseball bat using tools and methods from the 1880s.
The food at SDC is unique.  See here a large skillet of
vegetables and meat called "succotash."
Candle making at SDC.

This is my mother and father and me at Silver Dollar City around 1978.
Getting "old time photos" made at the park is common.




So... one of the MAIN reasons why I chose Jule as my exchange student was that I could tell that she would be fearless.  And I was right.  She will try ANYTHING, and she has a way of getting other people to try crazy things with her.  My niece, Connie, has been to SDC several times and has NEVER been insane enough to ride the Powder Keg roller coaster.  But Jule convinced her to do so, and you can see the reaction below...

Now, I will tell you that we laughed for an entire day about this picture.  It was taken at the very beginning of the coaster, when the ride goes from zero to 60 mph (zero to almost 100 kilometers per hour) in less than two seconds.  Jule has proclaimed that this is the "best roller coaster" that she's ever been on.  Here is an example of what it looks like from the ride:



And here's my best attempt at capturing Jule and Connie's "take off".  I couldn't help but giggle the whole time.



Some of the other favorite rides were Fire in the Hole, an indoor roller coaster that is a little bit scary.


... and Thunderation.

... and Wildfire...


I realize that watching these is not too fun for most of you reading this, but I think that Jule will want the memories later.  :)

While at Silver Dollar City, Jule tried her first "corn dog."  I think she gave it a thumbs up.  For the German readers, a corn dog is a hotdog on a stick dipped in batter and fried.  It's not something that I would recommend eating every day... it will make you fat.  :)  But, Jule must try everything here at least once.  (This is my philosophy.  Even with MY cooking!)

She also tried a "funnel cake."

Here's a picture from inside "Grandfather's Mansion"


Our day wasn't over... yet.  We left SDC around 6:00 in order to make it to a very special place for dinner... Lambert's Cafe.  See next blog for our experience at Lambert's...

4 comments:

  1. wie ich sehe, hattet ihr wirklich sehr viel Spaß, das freut mich sehr!:)
    Das Bild von Dir und Deinen Eltern ist super!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With BullionVault you are able to obtain physical gold & silver by the gram at current market prices.

    Create your free account now and get 4 grams of free silver as a joining bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow all those rides look really fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might be going there?

    ReplyDelete