Sunday, September 16, 2012

Intro to India 101

I happen to be drawn to people of different cultures.  I have friends here in Little Rock from Mexico, India, The Philippines, Japan, Indonesia and many other places.  As I've mentioned before, the U.S. is a "melting pot" of people from various cultures.  I know it's like this other places, as well, but it is much more evident here.  

So, as a part of Jule's adventure here I want for her to meet and learn from some of these people that I respect very much.  These people have come to America, oftentimes without knowing anyone (just like Jule did), and have made a good life for themselves.

One of these families is the Samantaray family.  They are from India.  The husband, Rashmi, works with me at Verizon.  His wife Rajani and I met in the Masters program at University of Arkansas - Little Rock.  She and I became quick friends, and then I realized that I worked with her husband.  It's a small world!  Rashmi and Rajani have two children:  Kaushal (10 years old) and Manushri (2 years old.)

Rajani was kind enough to invite Jule and I to their house on Sunday to try authentic Indian food.  I know that Rajani can cook very well, so I knew that if Jule is to experience this food, then at Rajani's house is the right place!

The foods that Rajani prepared for us were:

Main Entrees
Basmati Rice
Paratha (layered bread)
Chicken Curry
Potato and Lima Beans Curry
Cauliflower, peas and tomato Curry
Sambhar (lentil soup)
Chips

Dessert
Gulab Jamoon
Falooda with Ice Cream

Paratha
Cauliflower, Peas and Tomato Curry
Chicken Curry
Sambhar
Potato and Lima Beans Curry
Falooda with Ice Cream
Gulab Jamoon

While at the house, I wanted Rajani to share with Jule some of the traditions of the Indian culture.  Rajani explained to us how girls of Jule's age are forced to stay alone in one room for 11 days when their bodies change to become women.  During this 11 days, the whole family and neighborhood celebrate each day with so much food brought to the girl's house.  She told us that this tradition is for two reasons... one to give the girl time to rest while her hormones are changing.  The other is to officially announce to the world that the girl is now ready to find a husband.  (Rajani has clarified that this type of thing isn't followed by everyone... it is a family tradition mainly in Southern India that is becoming less followed over time, especially since many girls want to get an education now.) 

Rajani's family was "old school" and still believed in arranged marriages.  Rajani told Jule how immediately after she emerged from the room, she was bombarded with offers of gold and land to marry this boy or that boy.  Rajani's family was well-respected for their strong values, so Rajani would bring a large dowry (gift) from the boy's family in exchange for her hand in marriage.

Rajani also explained to us things like why Indian women wear a red dot on their forehead.  I was just glad that Jule got a chance to add a few pieces of information to the travel bag that she's carrying in her head!  :)

Anita has asked me why I wanted to have an exchange student.  I have several reasons, but learning from people like the Samantaray family is one reason why I wanted to share my life with a student.  I have been so blessed to be given the opportunity to see beyond the borders of the United States.  The education I've received through the generosity of others is far more important than any degree hanging on my wall.  Now is my time to give back.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment